I took this photograph earlier in the year when I spent a couple of days inside Patrick’s Point State Park. I have an earlier rendering of this image. It was my intention yesterday, to print the earlier version on canvas. I took it to my buddy Hal Work to use his larger printer. When we looked at it in close-up detail, we saw that there were real issues in the sky in the area of the small twigs. That image was created from a three-image HDR composite. Because the wind was blowing, those small branches showed movement from shot-to-shot. That showed up as ghosts on many of the twigs, and on a large print they would be obvious.
This morning I reworked it with two images, and I am becoming satisfied with the outcome as is shown above. What you see above is a far cry from how the print will look, but it serves some purpose.
It is my experience that to achieve “fine art” quality photographic prints, that one (just as in the days of film), must attain a certain level of digital dark room skills. I realize that many current cameras process jpg images that really are, at times, wonderful, but they offer considerably less opportunities for creative expression.